Documents for Download
City Council Policies | Priority Projects Update July 2019
City of Mill Valley and Mill Valley City Council Mission Statements
The mission of the City of Mill Valley is to provide a full range of municipal services to residents and businesses in accordance with the general plan and City Council policy and direction. City staff shall deliver those services in an efficient, effective and courteous manner with a commitment to operational excellence.
The mission of the Mill Valley City Council is to serve faithfully the residents and businesses of Mill Valley and nurture the City’s overall quality of life. The Council does this by setting policy for the City and direction for Mill Valley’s City Manager and its Boards and Commissions, at all times guided by values core to Mill Valley’s heritage.
- The health and safety of residents.
- Preservation of a vibrant community that respects Mill Valley’s small town character.
- Prudent fiscal policies and practices.
- Preservation of the community’s high quality of life
- A healthy natural environment with emphasis on conservation, open space, climate protection and sustainability.
- A balanced, inclusive, and open approach to policy-making and city leadership.
- Citizen participation that promotes open communication, mutual respect, and the development of community leaders.
- Economic vitality with an emphasis on small and local serving businesses.
- Operational excellence.
- Emergency preparedness with a focus on fire, flood and earthquake.
- Environmental conservation and sustainability, with a focus on climate protection.
- Land use and housing – residential and commercial development with emphasis on affordable housing for workforce, elderly, and low-income residents at a scale and density consistent with Mill Valley's character.
- Traffic mitigation, multimodal transportation and parking.
- Infrastructure maintenance and enhancement.
- Attraction and retention of local serving businesses.
- Budget management and mitigating fiscal impacts of the state and local economy.
- Effective two way communication between City staff/Council and the community.Excellence in customer service.
- Cultivation of community leadership and citizen participation on government commissions, boards and committees.
Mill Valley City Council 2018-20 Priority Projects:
The City Council met in a special meeting in March 2018 to review progress on past Priority Projects and to explore areas of interest for continued attention and new project areas. The City Council agreed on a list of 8 Priority Projects for the coming fiscal year which carries forward a number of on-going projects from past years and adds a few new tasks to address areas of community need and interest.
City Council Priorities 2018-2020
1. Focus on and Finish Existing Assignments
2. Fire Safety – Preparedness and Prevention
3. Traffic Congestion Reduction Efforts
4. Infrastructure Repair and Replacement
5. Housing and Land-Use Efforts
6. Community Engagement
7. Financial Matters
8. Golf Course Operations