Documents for Download
City Council Policies
City of Mill Valley and Mill Valley City Council Mission Statements
The mission of the City of Mill Valley is to provide a full range of municipal services to residents and businesses in accordance with the general plan and City Council policy and direction. City staff shall deliver those services in an efficient, effective and courteous manner with a commitment to operational excellence.
The mission of the Mill Valley City Council is to serve faithfully the residents and businesses of Mill Valley and nurture the City’s overall quality of life. The Council does this by setting policy for the City and direction for Mill Valley’s City Manager and its Boards and Commissions, at all times guided by values core to Mill Valley’s heritage.
- The health and safety of residents.
- Preservation of a vibrant community that respects Mill Valley’s small town character.
- Prudent fiscal policies and practices.
- Preservation of the community’s high quality of life
- A healthy natural environment with emphasis on conservation, open space, climate protection and sustainability.
- A balanced, inclusive, and open approach to policy-making and city leadership.
- Citizen participation that promotes open communication, mutual respect, and the development of community leaders.
- Economic vitality with an emphasis on small and local serving businesses.
- Operational excellence.
- Emergency preparedness with a focus on fire, flood and earthquake.
- Environmental conservation and sustainability, with a focus on climate protection.
- Land use and housing – residential and commercial development with emphasis on affordable housing for workforce, elderly, and low-income residents at a scale and density consistent with Mill Valley's character.
- Traffic mitigation, multimodal transportation and parking.
- Infrastructure maintenance and enhancement.
- Attraction and retention of local serving businesses.
- Budget management and mitigating fiscal impacts of the state and local economy.
- Effective two way communication between City staff/Council and the community.Excellence in customer service.
- Cultivation of community leadership and citizen participation on government commissions, boards and committees.
Mill Valley City Council 2017-18 Priority Projects:
- Substantially complete construction and dedicate the Miller Avenue Streetscape Project.
- Continue implementation of recommendations from the Traffic and Congestion Reduction Task Force, including the School Bus Program and Blithedale Avenue/Highway 101 interchange corridor improvement
- Develop an action plan to promote workforce housing and a strategy to protect existing housing stock.
- Complete established Capital Improvement Projects in 2017:
• Downtown Plaza Restroom,
• Sycamore Park Restroom,
• Boat dock,
• Gardner Steps SLP reconstruction.
- Revisit and revise adopted 5-year Capital Improvement Program to align project demands with available staff resources and process timing.
- Bring choices to the community with regard to flood control strategies, costs and funding options in conjunction with the development of a Mill Valley Flood Control Master Plan.
- Adopt an ADA Transition Plan
- Support the Sewerage Agency of Southern Marin (SASM) in its Wastewater Treatment Plant Reconstruction. Complete construction plans, solicit construction bids, initiate construction and manage project.
- Conduct public hearings, develop and adopt the 2018-2020 General Fund
Budget and CIP.
- Develop and implement a pedestrian connectivity program including sidewalk repair and Steps, Lanes and Paths improvement.
- Adopt a five-year Pavement Management Program.
- Take efforts to reduce inflow and infiltration to the wastewater collection system.