Code Enforcement

Are there conditions on private property that are in violation of the Mill Valley Municipal Code or California Building Code? If so, please contact our Code Enforcement Officer.

For concerns regarding public property, please contact the Department of Public Works at (415) 384-4800.

Irma Gowin
City Hall, 26 Corte Madera Ave, Mill Valley, CA 94941
Phone: 415-384-4813

If you wish to speak to Irma in person, please make an appointment via phone or email.

Reporting a Code Violation

Before reporting a code violation, please make sure that the violating address is within city limits. To verify, search the address here.

Violations can be reported by opening a Code Enforcement Investigation.

Completed forms can be dropped off at City Hall or emailed to our Code Enforcement Officer.

For a complaint to be investigated, the following information is required:

  • Location of potential violation (private property only)
  • Property owner name and phone number (if known)
  • Description of potential violation
  • Your name, phone number, address and email address

Please note: When you report a code violation, you may not do so anonymously. However, your information will remain confidential. Anonymous and/or incomplete complaint forms will not be investigated. 

Complaints are investigated in the order they are submitted. Submit your completed form to the contact information listed below. Any possible violations which are or may be safety issues do take priority over all other complaints. 

Code Enforcement Frequently Asked Questions

Code Enforcement Office/Field Hours


Day Hours
Monday 8:00am - 5:00 pm
Tuesday 8:00am - 5:00 pm 
Wednesday 8:00am - 5:00pm

NOTE: Complaints must be submitted in writing, not by phone or voicemail.  Complaint form must be filled out and received by Ann Ivan our Code Enforcement Officer.

If you need assistance after hours or on weekends, please contact Mill Valley Police Department Dispatch at 415-446-4526. If the complaint can wait until Ann's return, please fill out the complaint form and submit it to her by mail, email, or fax.

Complaint for Disabled Access Investigation

The purpose of this procedure is to provide individuals with a convenient method to report disability access law violations in Mill Valley, and to establish a process for resolving as promptly as possible alleged violations of state disabled access regulations in either buildings owned or leased by the City of Mill Valley or that are constructed or altered with city funds, or privately owned public accommodations that are not publicly funded. To learn more, please visit the ADA/Disability Access page.

To submit a complaint related to Disability Access: