- If you are given an evacuation order, please do so; do not stay behind to hose down your house. Firefighters will do the best they can to protect your home but they ask that you leave, not use the water they might need and not create greater risk for them as they will then need to protect YOU.
- Take only one car and grab neighbors to go with you, especially if they are elderly or do not have the means to evacuate on their own.
- Know two ways out of your neighborhood, both by car/bicycle or walking.
- Have a Grab & Go Bag by the front door with a list of special items around your house that you can grab in the last few minutes before you leave. Here’s a suggested list:https://readymarin.org/dev/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/GrabGo-Checklist_readymarin.pdf
- Know where to go if you have to evacuate from your neighborhood. Public safety officials are now recommending heading to a nearby Community Refuge Area, such as a park, golf course, large parking lot or school grounds, if time does not allow you to get farther away. If you leave early enough, consider friends/family that you can stay with.
- Have a plan to put pets in crates/carriers and keep close by, so you don't have to go looking for them. If evacuation is imminent, put them in the car so you can all leave quickly.
- Have an out of -area contact outside the Bay Area that you can call if phone calls are limited. Your contact can then let your family members around the country know that you are ok and where you will be.
The City of Mill Valley is hosting a FREE Get Ready class at the Mill Valley Community Center on Thursday, September 19, 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. We’ll discuss everything you’ll want to know about being prepared. You can pre-register at Getready@gmail.com.
Consider taking a CERT class (Community Emergency Response Team), which is a national program under FEMA to train as an emergency volunteer. Ten 20- hour classes are offered each year include instruction in fire suppression, first aid, light search & rescue and team organization, taught by the fire department for only $50.00. Pre-register at www.readymarin.org/calendar/.