Protect Your Property
Mill Valley is a safe community. However, statistics show that property crimes are becoming more common. Don't be lulled into a complacent "it couldn't happen here" attitude, as burglaries and petty thefts from vehicles are fairly common crimes and, to a large extent, preventable. Although burglaries may seem random in occurrence, burglars often choose easy targets, like houses with the easiest access, the greatest amount of cover, and valuables in plain sight. Residents know their neighborhoods better than anyone else and can help report suspicious activity. If you see something, say something.
Theft Protection Tips
- Always close and lock doors and windows, for both your home and your vehicle.
- Do not keep valuables (jewelry, important documents, etc.) in common places like the bedroom or under the mattress. Store them in a safe or lock box.
- Do not leave valuables in your car. Remove documents that could be used for identity theft (vehicle registration, mail, etc.).
- Prepare an inventory of valuable possessions. Make sure you write down serial numbers for items that have them (phones, computers, etc.).
- Install motion-sensor lighting around your home.
- Remove or prune plants that create hiding places in your yard.
- Use your alarm system or security cameras if you have them.
- Any camera system is better than no camera system. The higher the resolution, the better the image- 1 megapixel or 1080P preferred. Point one camera toward the street with high resolution. If you have additional cameras, point them at the entryway, side gate, rear door, or sliding glass windows. We also recommend a system with 30 days worth of storage.
- Photograph valuables or rooms in your home to document possessions.
- Use an engraver to label your items with your name or driver license number.
In Your Neighborhood
- Start a Neighborhood Watch.
- Use social networking sites like Nextdoor to communicate with your neighbors and report suspicious activity.
- Get to know your neighbors and their customs and habits so that you will recognize something out of the ordinary.
- Report suspicious activity to the Police Department immediately. If you see something, say something.
- Request Extra Patrols of your neighborhood when you are out of town.
- Register your Security Camera with the Police Department to aid in solving crimes.
Remaining vigilant in crime prevention will reduce the chances of becoming victimized. Our staff is available to assist you with personalized suggestions for better securing your residence or business. Together, we will ensure Mill Valley remains a safe community for all to enjoy.
For any further questions or comments, please call the Mill Valley Police Department at (415) 389-4100.