Keep Your Valuables Safe
While Mill Valley is generally a safe community, burglaries and petty thefts from vehicles are fairly common crimes. The good news is that they are often preventable. Although burglaries may seem random in occurrence, burglars often choose easy targets, like houses with the easiest access, the greatest amount of cover, and cars with valuables in plain sight. You can reduce your risk of being a target by removing important items from your vehicle and by remembering to lock your vehicle and home.
Theft Protection Tips
- Always close and lock doors and windows, for both your home and your vehicle.
- Do not keep valuables (computers, jewelry, expensive clothing, wallets, important documents, etc.) in plain sight. Bring them inside with you or store them in your locked trunk.
- Do not leave valuables in your car. Remove important items and documents that could be used for identity theft.
- Prepare an inventory of valuable possessions. Make sure you write down serial numbers for items that have them (phones, computers, etc.).
- Install motion-sensor lighting around your home.
- Use your alarm system or security cameras if you have them.
- Use an engraver to label your items with your name or driver license number.
You know your neighborhood better than anyone else and can help report suspicious activity. If you see something, say something.