Fire Prevention Week is here!
“Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!”
“Every Second Counts: Plan 2 Ways Out!” is so important. It reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan.
Here are some safety tips:
- Draw a map of your home with all members of your household, marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them. Watch a video from Sparky the Dog.
- Make sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave – this may slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
Also this week, Mill Valley Fire Department will be making visits to multiple schools across the city. The students will have a chance to ask the firefighters questions.
For further information on Emergency Preparedness and for further assistance, please contact Mill Valley Fire Department at 415/389-4130.