Short-Term Rentals

Short-Term Rental  

A Short-Term Rental (STR) is a dwelling that is leased or rented in full or in part for overnight lodging for less than thirty (30) consecutive days. Mill Valley allows Short-Term Rentals in all residential units except deed-restricted Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) and Junior Accessory Dwelling Units (JADUs). 

What is the Short-Term Rental Program?

The Short-Term Rental Program provides a set of standards governing the renting or leasing of residential property on a short-term basis.  The Program intends to allow short-term rental of residential properties within the City while protecting the City’s long-term housing stock.  The Program also ensures that Short-Term Rentals do not become a nuisance to the community, or threaten the public’s health, safety, or welfare. The Program requires the issuance of a Residential Short-Term Rental Permit (Permit) and Residential Business License before a homeowner may operate a STR.

How to Apply for a Short-Term Rental Permit

All Short-Term Rentals in the City of Mill Valley are required to register with the City and pay a registration fee, business license fee, and transient occupancy tax.  Registration must be renewed annually. To apply for a short-term rental, you must complete the required forms below. 

Required Forms

Short-Term Rental Registration Form 

Business License Application

Complete and submit the STR Registration Form to the City of Mill Valley Planning Department with the $50 STR Registration. 

Complete and submit the Business License application and pay the monthly remittance of transient occupancy tax as specified on the Finances & Human Resources web page. Applicants will be required to pay an annual business license application fee for Residential Living Accommodations of $15 per unit + $4 and must be paid online through Avenu Insights & Analytics. 

Required Conditions to Qualify for a Short-Term Rental

  1. Rental space must be a legally permitted space.
  2. Rental space is either room(s) within a single-family home, an entire single-family home, or a multi-family unit. 
  3. Rental space is not a deed-restricted ADU or JADU. 
  4. On lots that have a JADU, the primary unit may not be rented out concurrently with the JADU because owner occupancy is required on-site.

Term of Agreement 

  1. A Business License, Registration Form, and Registration Fee must be renewed annually.
  2. A Transient Occupancy Tax must be paid online with, payment of monthly remittances, as required. 
  3. All short-term rental hosts shall provide a statement of the conditions which apply to the rental to each guest. The statement of conditions shall include: 
    1. A maximum number of people that may occupy the unit. 
    2. A description of any available parking that is available for guests. 
    3. An emergency contact person is available to receive calls from the guest(s) at any time, day, or night. 
    4. Instructions for trash disposal. 
    5. Information about the Mill Valley Noise Ordinance requirements; and 
    6. Good Neighbor conduct is expected and includes limiting noise, parking with consideration for neighbors who live in the area, and keeping trash in appropriate bins. 


For questions related to the Short-Term Rental Permit, please contact: Planning Department –

For Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) Questions

For questions related to TOT, contact Avenu by phone at (866) 240-3665 or by email at

Additional Related Information