Welcome to the City of Mill Valley's Building Division
The Building Division is responsible for reviewing plans, issuing permits, and doing field inspections while enforcing state construction laws and local ordinances that protect our residents. The Building Division works closely with Planning, Code Enforcement, Public Works, and Fire Protection to help maintain a safe and livable community.
Note: All plan review applications submitted after December 31, 2019 shall be required to comply with the 2019 Building Code. The 2019 California codes are available for purchase directly from the International Code Council at ww.iccsafe.org as well as other vendors. The 2016 (as well as some previous) California codes may also be available for viewing in a digital format at the California Building Standards website at www.bsc.ca.gov/.
- My neighbor's construction project is making a lot of noise - what is allowed?
- Do I need a building permit?
- What are the dangers of mold and mildew and whom do I call if I encounter this problem?
- It seems like almost anything I improve, repair, or replace on my property requires a permit. Why is this?
- OK, I think I’m ready to apply for a permit. What information does the City need to begin the process?
- How long will it take before I can get my permit?
- Can I get started on the project before I actually obtain my permit?
- What are these additional charges that don’t seem relevant to the scope of my project? What is a Road Impact Fee? Drainage Fee?
- Does my project need to be completed within a certain time?
- I’m thinking about renting, purchasing, or renovating a commercial proper. What do I need to be aware of in regards to City requirements?
Questions? Email us!
We strongly encourage email communication regarding code questions and interpretation, department policies, and other Building related issues.