Business Licenses

Business License Tax Information 

The City of Mill Valley requires a business license for any business activity within city limits. Applications must be made and approved before operations begin. 

The license year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30 of each year. Fees are due from the first date of business license activity. Penalties may be charged for past due fees. Fees for a new operation starting after October 1, January 1 or April 1 may be pro-rated.

For General Businesses:

General business operations are classified A, B or C according to the table below. License fees in these classes are based on a 12-month estimate of gross receipts.

Determine your General Business Classification...

Class A Class BClass C

Auto repairs Construction contractors
Laundry services
Retail trade
Wholesale trade
Gas station

Architectural services
Beauty services
Building services
Commercial rentals
Engineering services
Landscaping services
Travel services
(All businesses not specifically listed elsewhere) 

Accounting services 
Financial services Insurance services
Legal services
Management services
Medical/Health services
Public relations
Real Estate services 

then calculate your annual business license tax.

Gross Receipts RangeClass AClass BClass C
10,000,001 and over3,000.003,750.004,500.00

For Delivery Businesses:

Delivery business license taxes are based on the following schedule.

Not exceeding 1/2 ton capacity, per vehicle22.50
Over 1/2 ton capacity, per vehicle    37.50
Over 1/ton capacity, per vehicle    75.00
Over 1 1/2 ton capacity, per vehicle    112.00
Over 2 to 3 ton capacity, per vehicle    150.00
Over 3 ton capacity, per vehicle    225.00

For Living Accommodations:

Living accommodations include hotel, motel, apartment, rooming house, house rental, etc. The annual business license tax is $15.00 per dwelling unit.  Short-term Rentals (less than 30 days) are required to submit a registration form as part of the business license approval process, as well as monthly remittance of transient occupancy tax collected.  

For Other Licenses:

Auctioneers without a fixed place of business in Mill Valley
$500 per year or $50 per day
Carnivals and Fairs
$400 first day, $300 each additional day (plus concession charge)
Christmas Tree Lots
$45.00 per year
$750.00 first day, $562.50 each additional day
Peddlers or Solicitors
$500.00 per year
$60.00 per vehicle, per year

For Commercial Filming:

Persons Employed at Location
    Rate Per Day
1 to 3 
4 to 6 
7 to 9
10 & over 


Do you live within Mill Valley city limits? That's important to know for sure when seeking a business license. Some Mill Valley addresses (such as those in Strawberry, Tam Valley, Homestead, Almonte and Alto) are actually in unincorporated portions of Marin County -- out of our jurisdiction. Check your street address here to find out.