- Planning & Building
- Zoning (Ordinance) Updates
Zoning (Ordinance) Updates
Zoning and subdivision regulations are contained in Title 20 "Zoning" of the City's Mill Valley Municipal Code. The "Zoning Code" primarily governs the development and use of property in Mill Valley, and also establish the procedures by which the City reviews and makes decisions on applications for residential and commercial design review, conditional use permits and variances. Various pieces of the Zoning Code are updated through ordinance updates, which are reviewed by Planning Commission and adopted through City Council. These updates are primarily based on the City's General Plan policies and programs, and assist in clarifying zoning and land use regulations and procedures.
- Accessory Dwelling Unit Ordinance and Two-Unit Projects Allowed in Single Family Zone Ordinance and Addendum to Single Family Design Guidelines
- October 12, 2021 Planning Commission meeting Staff Report and Attachments (PDF)
- November 1, 2021 City Council meeting: First Reading of Ordinances. (Note: at his meeting the Floor Area Exemption contained in the Draft ADU Ordinance was modified to 0 and the definition of overall height was modified). Staff Report and ADU Ordinance (PDF)
- November 15, 2021 City Council meeting: Second Reading/Final Adoption. ADU Ordinance; two-unit/Duplex Ordinance. Attachment 1 (PDF), Attachment 2 (PDF)
- Wireless Telecommunications Final Ordinance (PDF); Staff Report (PDF)
- Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Ordinance. Modifications to MVMC 20.90 to address Junior ADUs; modify Floor Area square footage bonus and establish regulations for those ADUs created with Floor Area Bonus and/or exceptions to the development standards
July 10, 2018 Planning Commission Staff Report (PDF), Attachments (PDF)
- Second Units/Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs): establishes regulations based on new state laws regarding ADUs.
- January 3, 2017 (PDF): Staff Report, City Council (second reading)
- Green Building: establishes new green building regulations (Tier 1 CalGreen) for new construction and major remodels.
- January 3, 2017: Staff Report (PDF) (first reading)
- Affordable Housing Ordinance: Comprehensive update to Chapter 20.80 "inclusionary housing regulations" to include inclusionary housing requirements, impact fees, and establishing an affordable housing trust fund.
- City Council Meeting (Initial Discussion) May 23, 2016 Part 1 (PDF), Part 2 (PDF);
- Planning Commission August 23, 2016 (staff report (PFD);draft ordinance (PFD); attachments 2-4 (PFD)).
- Definitions and Nonconforming Regulations: Planning Commission: March 22, 2016; Feb. 9, 2016;December 8, 2015 (PFD); August 25, 2015 (PFD), July 28, 2015; and City Council: November 2, 2015 (PFD); Final Ordinance Adopted June 5, 2016 (PFD)
- Medical Marijuana Cultivation Ordinance: Jan 26 Planning Commission Staff Report (PFD)
- Mobility/Circulation Element: Initial Study (PFD) (available Jan 6, 2016 for public comment until January 26, 2016);Nov. 2, 2015 Staff Report (PFD); Janurary 26 Planning Commission Staff Report (PFD); Feb 16, 2016 City Council Staff Report (PFD); March 7. 2016 City Council Staff Report and Attachments (PFD)
- General Plan Land Use Element: Initial Study (available Jan 6, 2016 for public comment until January 26, 2016); Jan 26 Planning Commission Staff Report; Sept 8, 2015 Staff Report (PFD)
- Zoning Ordinance and Map Amendments related to the Multi-Family , Downtown Residential, and Mixed-Use Development Standards and Design Guidelines: Final Zoning Text Amendment Ordinance; (PFD) Final Zoning Map Ordinance (PFD)
- Inclusionary Housing: August 17 City Council Packet (PFD); July 14 Planning Commission Packet (PFD); June 23 Planning Commission Packet (PFD)
- Short-term Rentals: July 6 City Council Packet (PFD) Go to our Business License Page for additional information and to download registration and tax forms.