- Planning & Building
- Housing Element Update (2023-2031)
Housing Element Update (2023-2031)
The City’s 2023-2031 Draft Housing Element was prepared with the benefit of community input, including comments made by and to the Housing Advisory Committee, Planning Commission, and City Council. The initial Draft Housing Element was released for public review from June 30, 2022 through the August 1, 2022 City Council meeting and submitted to the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) on August 23, 2022. On November 21, 2022, the City received HCD’s formal findings and comments and began revising the Housing Element. On January 17, 2023, the City published the Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Report (DSEIR) that analyzes the potentially significant impacts of the Draft Housing Element for public review (45-days), which ended March 3, 2023. On February 16, 2023, the City published the revised Draft Housing Element. On February 28, 2022, Planning Commission conducted a public hearing to collect public input on the proposed General Plan Amendments and Draft SEIR. After conducting the public hearing, Planning Commission adopted a resolution recommending that the City Council adopt the proposed Housing Element Update (with proposed modifications to Program 20), the Land Use Element and Land Use Map amendments and finalize the SEIR for certification. The Final SEIR provides responses to comments on the DSEIR as well as additional clarifying edits to the DSEIR based on the revised Draft Housing Element. Details are provided below.
Upcoming Meetings and Next Steps:
City Council 5/15/2023 (5:30pm):
The revised Draft Housing Element and related General Plan Land Use amendments is now before the City Council for review and adoption. The adoption process includes the review and certification of the Subsequent Environmental Impact Report (SEIR), and the adoption of findings, statement of overriding considerations and mitigation monitoring in support of the approval of the project. Upon adoption, city staff will finalize the Draft Housing Element and forward it to HCD for review and certification. Staff will return to City Council, should substantive modifications be required and/or requested by HCD after adoption. The Draft Housing Element and SEIR documents are below. Additional materials, including the staff report for the hearing, are located as part of the May, 15, 2023 agenda packet (LINK).
Draft and Final Subsequent Environmental Impact Reports:
Together, the Draft and Final Subsequent Environmental Impact Reports constitute the complete Housing Element Update SEIR.
• Draft SEIR: Notice of Availability (PDF); Draft SEIR (PDF), Appendix A (PDF); Appendix B (PDF); Appendix C (PDF); Appendix D (PDF); Appendix E (PDF); Appendix F (PDF)
Revised Draft Housing Element (February 2023)
Appendix A: Housing Needs Analysis (PDF)
Appendix C: Sites Inventory (PDF)
Appendix D: Review of 2014-2022 Housing Element Programs (PDF)
Appendix E: AFFH Analysis (PDF)
Appendix F: Constraints Analysis (PDF)
Appendix H: Development Standards (Emergency Shelters, Multi-family and Mixed-Use) (PDF)
Draft Subsequent Environmental Impact Report:
The Draft Subsequent Environmental Impact Report will be available for public review through March 3, 2023. Notice of Availability (PDF); Draft SEIR (PDF), Appendix A (PDF); Appendix B (PDF); Appendix C (PDF); Appendix D (PDF); Appendix E (PDF); Appendix F (PDF)
State Comment Letter on Draft Housing Element:
HCD Comment Letter 11/21/22 (PDF).
Joint CC/PC Meeting: November 30, 2022
Review the State of California’s Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) Comments on the Draft Housing Element Due to City Staff by November 21, 2022 and Discussion of Next Steps. View the agenda and supporting materials here (LINK).
Draft Housing Element (submitted to HCD August 2022)
The Mill Valley Housing Element Update will serve as the City’s housing plan for the next 8 years (2023-2031). The Draft Housing Element was submitted to the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) on August 23, 2022 based on public comments received during the 30-day public comment period (June 30-July 30, 2022) and direction received at the August 1, 2022 City Council meeting. While the city awaits comments from HCD (expected in late Nov. 2022), staff will work with consultants on preparing the “subsequent Environmental Impact Report” that will address the environmental impacts associated with the adoption and implementation of the Housing Element Update. This subsequent EIR will evaluate only the impacts resulting from the amendments to the general plan elements.
- Chapters 1-4 (PDF)
- Appendix A Housing Needs Analysis (PDF)
- Appendix B_Community Outreach and Engagement (PDF)
- Appendix C Capacity Analysis and Sites Inventory data and maps (PDF)
- Appendix D Review and Status of Housing Program (PDF)
- Appendix E AFFH Analysis Mill Valley (PDF)
- Appendix F Constraints Analysis (PDF)
- Appendix G ADU Survey (PDF)
A Notice of Preparation (NOP) was issued on July 20, 2022 indicating that the City, as lead agency, will prepare a Draft Subsequent Environmental Impact Report for the Draft Housing Element. An errata to the NOP was then issued on September 15, 2022 to correct data and update information based on public comments received during the NOP public comment period (July 21-August 22, 2022). Additional modifications to the project description may be made based on public comments received as part the review of the Draft Housing Element.
The Notice of Preparation may be viewed here (PDF).
The Errata to the NOP may be viewed here (PDF).
A public scoping meeting was held via Zoom teleconference on Thursday August 4, 2022, at 6:30 p.m. to collect oral comments on the scope of the Environmental Impact Report.
Join the Conversation and our E-mail List
Stay up-to-date on the latest information by signing up for the Housing Element Update Email List.
The City welcomes your input and comments as part of the update process! See below for the series of workshops that will discuss housing needs, policies, sites, and land use plans to support housing opportunities for all income levels in the community during the 8-year planning cycle.
Review of Draft Housing Element:
Planning Commission 2/28/2023:
A Public hearing to receive oral comments on the Draft Subsequent EIR. At the meeting Planning Commission will also consider a resolution recommendation to City Council to 1) adopt the 2023-2031 Housing Element Update and related General Plan Amendments to the Land Use Element and Land Use Map (“Project”) and 2) certify the Subsequent Environmental Impact Report (SEIR) prepared in connection with the Project.
The Revised Draft Housing Element and Draft SEIRis available on this page, or can be accessed for review at Mill Valley City Hall Planning Department (26 Corte Madera Avenue) or the Public Library Reference Desk (375 Throckmorton Avenue).
To view the agenda and meeting materials please follow the link (LINK).
2023-02-28 Final Mill Valley Housing Element Presentation (LINK).
August 1, 2022 City Council Meeting. Discuss the draft Housing Element, including public comments and next steps in finalizing the initial draft to send to HCD for their initial review. The meeting will be held in person at Mill Valley City Hall, 26 Corte Madera Avenue, Mill Valley. You can also watch the meeting remotely online (LINK). To view the staff report and comments received, see the August 1, 2022 City Council meeting (LINK).
Phase 3: Policy Development (April - June 2022)
- May 17, 2022 Housing Advisory Committee Meeting Review of housing programs of interest from the community and further discussing those Housing programs that should be included as part of the Housing Element Update. Housing Advisory Committee Agenda May 17th, 2022 (PDF); HAC Staff Report, Attachment 1; Public Correspondence (PDF); HAC Attachment 2 - Prelininary Draft Chapter 2 (PDF); Meeting Presentation (PDF); Meeting Presentation in Spanish (PDF); Video of the meeitng (LINK)
- April 28, 2022 (6:30-8:30pm) Online Workshop #4: Review existing housing programs and provide an opportunity to discuss new housing policies and programs to address community interests. Workshop 4 Materials Policies and Programs (PDF); Video of the meeting (LINK)
Phase 2: Housing Needs, Fair Housing and Sites Analysis (November 2021-March 2022)
- Joint Planning Commission/City Council Meeting (March 22, 2022): Discussion of housing strategies and identify those properties that can help the City plan for and make room for new housing in Mill Valley. City staff presented its recommended approach and list of potential sites for the Housing Element’s the sites inventory, including land use and rezoning programs. At the meeting, Planning Commission and City Council supported the overall approach.Agenda (PDF); Agenda en espanol (PDF); Agenda Packet (PDF); Presentation (PDF)
- Online Survey (PDF)
- Workshop 3 (February 16, 2022):Video of the Workshop; Presentation: Presentacion en espanol (PDF) break out session notes pending.
- City Council Update (February 7, 2022)Staff Report (PDF), Presentation (PDF)
- Workshop 2 (November 10, 2021) Staff Memo:Summary of Site Analysis and Inventory (PDF) Presentation: Housing Element Workshop No. 2 (PDF) Presentation: Housing Element Workshop No. 2 (PDF) - Presentacion en Espanol Video of the Workshop: https://youtu.be/079JZYFN-_A
Phase 1: Housing Needs and Goals (September-October 2021)
- Community input received from September 23 - October 18, 2021 (Workshop 1 and Online survey (PDF)
- City Council Meeting (October 18, 2021) :Presentation summarizing workshop 1 and online survey (PDF)
- Workshop 1 (September 1, 2021):Watch the zoom video: Presentation; Demographics; trends and housing needs.
Project Kick off - Workplan and Outreach (September 2021)
- September 1, 2021 City Council Meeting: Discussion of Work Plan, Schedule and General Requirements as part of the Housing Element Update: staff report; presentation; Public Outreach Plan
- Previous Housing Element (2015-2023): Volume 1; Volume 2/ Appendices
- Summary of units built for previous RHNA cycle: Annual Progress Report to City Council 2020 (PDF)
- What is a Housing Element - English Version; Spanish Version
- Consequences of Non-Compliance (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions
General Plan Goals
The two primary General Plan goals will guide the Housing Element Update process, and are:
- To protect and enhance the natural beauty and small town character of Mill Valley; and
- To encourage continued diversity of housing, income levels and lifestyles in the community. The General Plan community values are intended to guide the overall framework and decision making for the General Plan, and have been updated based on community input and feedback from the General Plan Advisory Committee.
What is the Housing Element?
The Housing Element is one of the seven required elements (or chapters) of the City's General Plan. Because housing affordability and availability is a critical issue with statewide implications, State law requires Housing Elements to be updated on a regular basis. The City of Mill Valley is currently part of an 8-year update cycle (2023-2031) and is working to update the Housing Element. The Housing Element Update must be reviewed and certified by the State Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) by January 2023.