September 21, 2022
The City invites community members to share ideas for the future use of the space by taking this survey.
The Downtown Project has focused on upgrading our Downtown’s sewer and storm drain infrastructure and improving the overall flow and safety of car, bike, and pedestrian travel. The project is broken into three separate phases. The first phase, completed in October 2020, included improvements to the sanitary sewer and storm drain systems, as well as street repaving. The second phase, completed in the summer of 2021, included sidewalk bulb-outs, ADA curb ramps, and sidewalk enhancements.
The City is now poised to begin Phase 3 in the Spring of 2023, with a primary focus on paving and curb ramp improvements along Throckmorton Avenue and Miller Avenue.
Staff have emphasized community engagement through numerous public meetings and the work of the Design Advisory Committee (DAC). The members of the DAC were appointed in 2019 and have reviewed and given their input on design concepts throughout the project. See the PowerPoint Presentation from their most recent August 24, 2022 meeting here.
On Monday, September 19, 2022 Council adopted resolutions to approve the Downtown Rehabilitation Phase 3 project plans, specifications, and estimate, the filing of a CEQA Notice of Exemption for this project and authorizing the City Manager to award the bid and execute the contract with the lowest responsive/responsible bidder.
Conceptual Layout of Future Plaza Expansion
One of the possible new design features of the Downtown area is an expanded Plaza, created by the redesign of the right turn lane from Sunnyside Avenue onto Miller Avenue. See the green shaded area in image.
Your Input Is Needed!
The City invites community members to share ideas for the future use of the space by taking this survey, which will be open until October 7. Staff will then collate the data and present response trends to the Parks and Recreation Commission, who will receive the information and offer a public forum for a discussion on the use of the new space.
Below is a timeline with an overview of actions to-date and estimated next steps:
Fall 2021 - March 2022
- Downtown Traffic Circulation Demonstration Study
- DAC meetings
- City Council Meeting - review of Phase 3 concept plans
July - September 2022
- Design Advisory Committee Meeting
- City Council Meeting - Phase 3 Project Approval
- Begin community input period on Expanded Plaza- Open survey
October - December 2022
- Close survey - Staff collates data
- Parks and Recreation Commission Meeting - Review community input, trends and discuss options
January - March 2023
- City Council direction regarding Plaza expansion design and funding
- Phase 3 Community Construction Meeting
April - October 2023
- Phase 3 construction - Paving and curb ramp improvements along Throckmorton Avenue and Miller Avenue, as well as potential sidewalk widening along Miller
- Plaza expansion construction - Pending adequate funding
Downtown Project Homepage
Project Documents and Resources
Design Advisory Committee