What state laws and regulations govern accessibility?

State law requires all public and private projects to be accessible to and usable by persons with disabilities. See California Government Code 4450 et seq. for public projects and Cal. Health and Safety Code 19955 et seq. for private projects. The State Architect has issued specifications for the construction or alteration of buildings and structures in the State Building Code, which is published as part of the California Building Code and which is often referred to as "Title 24" reflecting where it was formerly located in the California Code of Regulations, Under state law, the City is responsible for complying with Title 24 in its public projects and for enforcing the Title 24 requirements in private projects that are subject to the City's jurisdiction through the City's building permit and building inspection programs. For certain projects built before the first version of Title 24 was adopted in 1981, the applicable standards are the 1961 American Standards Association Standard (the "ASA Standards"). In addition, California Civil Code Sections 54 and 54.1 require that persons with disabilities have equal access to accommodations available to the public, and make a violation of the federal Americans with Disability Act also a violation of state law. For a detailed description of these state laws and regulations, please see Exhibit A. For the purposes of this Procedure, all of the above-referenced laws and regulations shall be referred to as the "Law."

Show All Answers

1. When should a disability access complaint be filed?
2. What happens after a disability access complaint is filed?
3. How will the complainant be informed of the status of the disability access complaint?
4. I have a septic tank. Who do I call?
5. I am thinking of adding a second unit to my house and was told I need to obtain a Sewer Connection Permit. Since my house is already connected to the sewer, do I need to do this?
6. How can disability access complaints be filed?
7. What is the purpose of the disability access complaint procedure?
8. What state laws and regulations govern accessibility?
9. Who may file a disability access complaint?
10. Is assistance in filing disability access complaints available?
11. How do I schedule a Residential Building Report?
12. (RBR) Resale inspection - What are the items the City staff will be looking for?
13. RBR (re-sale) inspection - What do I do if something is not up to code?