Business Licenses

Please click here if you are planning on starting a new business in Mill Valley.

For questions about Business Licenses please contact Maritza Williams:

Phone: (415) 384-4803

Chapter 5.04 of the Mill Valley Municipal Code requires an original signature for Applications for Business Licenses. So while we can't accept electronic business license applications over the Internet, we have made the application available here in Acrobat PDF for you to download, print out, and complete. 

Download the Business License Application (PDF)
Short-Term Rental Registration Form (PDF)

To apply for a license, return the fully completed and signed application, along with your license fee to City Hall, 26 Corte Madera Avenue. The Finance Department is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 noon and again from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. We are closed alternate Fridays. 

Or you can send it via US mail to:

Finance Department 
City of Mill Valley 
26 Corte Madera Ave 
Mill Valley, CA 94941 

Phone: (415) 388-4033

Business License Tax Information 

The City of Mill Valley requires a business license for any business activity within city limits. Applications must be made and approved before operations begin. 

The license year begins on July 1 and ends on June 30 of each year. Fees are due from the first date of business license activity. Penalties may be charged for past due fees. Fees for a new operation starting after October 1, January 1 or April 1 may be pro-rated.

For General Businesses:

General business operations are classified A, B or C according to the table below. License fees in these classes are based on a 12-month estimate of gross receipts.

Determine your General Business Classification...

Class A Class B Class C
Auto repairs 
Construction contractors 
Laundry services
Retail trade 
Wholesale trade 
Gas station 
Architectural services 
Beauty services 
Building services 
Commercial rentals 
Engineering services 
Landscaping services 
Travel services 
(All businesses not specifically listed elsewhere)
Accounting services 
Financial services 
Insurance services 
Legal services 
Management services 
Medical/Health services 
Public relations 
Real Estate services 

then calculate your annual business license tax

Gross Receipts Range Class A Class B Class C
$0-7,500 $15.00 $22.50 $30.00
7,501-15,000 30.00 45.00 60.00
15,001-25,000 45.00 67.50 90.00
25,001-50,000 60.00 90.00 120.00
50,001-100,000 100.00 150.00 200.00
100,001-250,000 150.00 250.00 300.00
250,001-500,000 300.00 375.00 450.00
500,001-750,000 450.00 562.00 675.00
750,001-1,000,000 600.00 750.00 900.00
1,000,001-2,000,000 800.00 1,000.00 1,200.00
2,000,001-3,000,000 1,000.00 1,250.00 1,500.00
3,000,001-4,000,000 1,200.00 1,500.00 1,800.00
4,000,001-5,000,000 1,400.00 1,750.00 2,100.00
5,000,001-10,000,000 2,000.00 2,500.00 3,000.00
10,000,001 and over 3,000.00 3,750.00 4,500.00

For Delivery Businesses: 

Delivery business license taxes are based on the following schedule.

Not exceeding 1/2 ton capacity, per vehicle 22.50
Over 1/2 ton capacity, per vehicle 37.50
Over 1/ton capacity, per vehicle 75.00
Over 1 1/2 ton capacity, per vehicle 112.00
Over 2 to 3 ton capacity, per vehicle 150.00
Over 3 ton capacity, per vehicle 225.00

For Living Accommodations:

Living accommodations include hotel, motel, apartment, rooming house, house rental, etc. The annual business license tax is $15.00 per dwelling unit.  Short-term Rentals (less than 30 days) are required to submit a registration form as part of the business license approval process, as well as monthly remittance of transient occupancy tax collected.  Additional information for owners and guests here.

For Other Licenses:

Auctioneers without a fixed place of business in Mill Valley $500 per year or $50 per day
Carnivals and Fairs $400 first day, $300 each additional day
(plus concession charge)
Christmas Tree Lots $45.00 per year
Circuses $750.00 first day, $562.50 each additional day
Peddlers or Solicitors $500.00 per year
Taxicab $60.00 per vehicle, per year

For Commercial Filming:

Persons Employed at Location Rate Per Day
1 to 3 $150.00
4 to 6 300.00
7 to 9 600.00
10 & over 900.00

Do you live within Mill Valley city limits? That's important to know for sure when seeking a business license. Some Mill Valley addresses (such as those in Strawberry, Tam Valley, Homestead, Almonte and Alto) are actually in unincorporated portions of Marin County -- out of our jurisdiction. Check your street address here to find out.