Zoning and subdivision regulations are contained in Title 20 "Zoning" of the City's Mill Valley Municipal Code.
The "Zoning Code" primarily governs the development and use of property
in Mill Valley, and also establish the procedures by which the City
reviews and makes decisions on applications for residential and
commercial design review, conditional use permits and variances. Various
pieces of the Zoning Code are updated through ordinance updates, which
are reviewed by Planning Commission and adopted through City Council.
These updates are primarily based on the City's General Plan policies and programs, and assist in clarifying zoning and land use regulations and procedures.
- Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) Ordinance. Modifications to MVMC 20.90 to address Junior ADUs; modify Floor Area square footage bonus and establish regulations for those ADUs created with Floor Area Bonus and/or exceptions to the development standards
- Affordable Housing: Continuation of comprehensive update to inclusionary housing regulations from 2016.
- Cannabis: Final Ordinance
- Second Units/Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs): establishes regulations based on new state laws regarding ADUs.
- January 3, 2017: Staff Report, City Council (second reading)
- Green Building: establishes new green building regulations (Tier 1 CalGreen) for new construction and major remodels.
- Affordable Housing Ordinance: Comprehensive update
to Chapter 20.80 "inclusionary housing regulations" to include
inclusionary housing requirements, impact fees, and establishing an
affordable housing trust fund.
- Definitions and Nonconforming Regulations: Planning Commission: March 22, 2016; Feb. 9, 2016; December 8, 2015; August 25, 2015, July 28, 2015; and City Council: November 2, 2015; Final Ordinance Adopted June 5, 2016
- Medical Marijuana Cultivation Ordinance: Jan 26 Planning Commission Staff Report
- Mobility/Circulation Element: Initial Study (available Jan 6, 2016 for public comment until January 26, 2016); Nov. 2, 2015 Staff Report; Jan 26 Planning Commission Staff Report; Feb 16, 2016 City Council Staff Report; March 7. 2016 City Council Staff Report and Attachments
- General Plan Land Use Element: Initial Study (available Jan 6, 2016 for public comment until January 26, 2016); Jan 26 Planning Commission Staff Report; Sept 8, 2015 Staff Report
- Zoning Ordinance and Map Amendments related to the Multi-Family , Downtown Residential, and Mixed-Use Development Standards and Design Guidelines: Final Zoning Text Amendment Ordinance; Final Zoning Map Ordinance