Public Records Request

The California State Legislature adopted the Public Records Act in 1975. It is designed to give the public access to information in possession of public agencies. The Act also provides that public records shall be open for inspection during regular office hours of the agency. The public can inspect any record unless the record is exempted from disclosure under the act. 

How do I make a Public Records request? 
All requests for public records should be directed to the Mill Valley City Clerk. Please include in your request:

  • Your name.
  • Your contact information (including phone number, postal address, and email address).
  • A detailed description of the information you are seeking.
  • If you would like the information mailed to an address that is different from your contact information, please give the postal address of where you would like the materials sent.

Requests may be sent to the Mill Valley City Clerk at Mill Valley City Hall, 26 Corte Madera Avenue, Mill Valley, CA 94941, or email

Who can initiate a Public Records request? 
Anyone may initiate a request for public records. 

What type of information can I request? 
Public Records requests may be used to obtain "agency records," which include a wide variety of documents and other materials (including print, photographic, and electronic formats) that were created or obtained by a City agency and are, at the time the request is filed, in the department's possession and control. 

How soon must a city agency respond to my request? 
A City agency receiving a request for documents under the Public Records Act has ten (10) days in which to respond to the request. 

How much will I be charged for my request? 
Fees for copies are twenty-five cents per page, unless the requested document has an established statutory fee. The cost of CDs and audio tapes will vary depending on the specific request. 

When may public records be inspected? 
Public records are open to inspection during regular City Hall business hours. Please click here for the City Hall Hours of Operation. To make an appointment with the City Clerk, please call 415-388-4033. The office of the City Clerk is located at 26 Corte Madera Avenue, Mill Valley, CA 94941.