Your PSPS Checklist - Prepare Today for Future PSPS Events
Here is your preparedness checklist:
- Sign up for Alerts
- Update your contact information with PG&E. Go to www.pge.com/mywildfirealerts or call 1-866-743-6589.
- Plan for any medical needs - Talk with your doctor and plan for medications that need refrigeration or medical devices that require power.
- Keep a hard copy of emergency phone numbers on hand - Know who to call in an emergency. This should include at least one out-of-town contact that may be better able to reach family members in an emergency.
- Build or restock your emergency supply kit - Stock supplies to last a week - include flashlights, fresh batteries, first aid supplies, food, water and cash. Pack a "Grab and Go" Kit for yourself, everyone in your family, and your pets!
- Plan for alternate ways to charge devices - Consider purchasing a solar-powered or hand crank charger. These chargers are good emergency tools to keep your laptop and other small electronics working in the event of a power outage. If you own a car, purchase a car phone charger because you can charge your phone if you lose power at your home.
- Plan for the needs of pets and livestock.
- Designate an emergency meeting location and identify your evacuation routes. Roads may be blocked - know 2 ways out, and plan for 2 modes of travel (car, bike, walk). Tell someone out of the area which routes you plan to use.
- Keep your car tank full - Gas stations rely on electricity to power their pumps.
- Practice manually opening your garage door. Know where the manual release lever of your electric garage door opener is located and how to operate it. Garage doors can be heavy, so know that you may need help to lift it.
- Consider staying with a friend or relative during an outage.
- Ensure any backup generators are ready to safely operate - Generator safety tips can be found at www.pge.com/backupgeneration
Click here for Safety Tips during an outage.