Flex Alert - Sat. 9/5 - Mon. 9/7: Conserve and Save Power This Weekend
The heat wave this weekend may draw down power resources, posing the possibility of rotating outages. Please help conserve with these energy-saving tips!
The California Independent System Operator (CASIO) has issued a Flex Alert to conserve energy during the forecast heat wave and reduce the chances of rotating outages. CASIO is the nonprofit public benefit corporation that manages the flow of electricity across the high-voltage, long-distance power lines for the grid serving most of California.
Please reduce your energy use from 3 pm until 9 pm each day, Saturday through Monday. Doing so helps ensure our State has enough supply to meet demand for electricity.
Here are ways you can help conserve energy:
- Raise the thermostat: Set the thermostat to 78 degrees when at home, health permitting. Turn it up to 85 degrees or turn it off when not at home.
- Use a ceiling fan: Turn on a ceiling fan when using the air conditioner, which will allow the thermostat to be raised about 4 degrees to save on cooling costs with no reduction in comfort.
- Turn off fans and lights when you leave the room.
- Cover windows: Use shade coverings and awnings so the air conditioner won’t have to work as hard to cool the home.
- Avoid using the oven: Instead, cook on the stove, use a microwave or grill outside.
- Limit the opening of refrigerators, which are major users of electricity in most homes. The average refrigerator is opened 33 times a day.
- Charge cars after 9 or 10 pm.
Learn more at: www.flexalert.org