Flex Alert issued from 3 to 10 pm on Thursday, October 1, 2020.
The heat wave we will experience today may draw down power resources, posing the possibility of rotating outages. Please reduce your energy use - Doing so helps ensure our State has enough supply to meet demand for electricity.
Here are ways you can help conserve energy:
- Raise the thermostat: Set the thermostat to 78 degrees when at home, health permitting. Turn it up to 85 degrees or turn it off when not at home.
- Use a ceiling fan: Turn on a ceiling fan when using the air conditioner, which will allow the thermostat to be raised about 4 degrees to save on cooling costs with no reduction in comfort.
- Turn off fans and lights when you leave the room.
- Cover windows: Use shade coverings and awnings so the air conditioner won’t have to work as hard to cool the home.
- Avoid using the oven: Instead, cook on the stove, use a microwave or grill outside.
- Limit the opening of refrigerators, which are major users of electricity in most homes. The average refrigerator is opened 33 times a day.
- Charge cars after 9 or 10 pm.
Learn more at: www.flexalert.org