Time to prepare your home for wildfire season. Southern Marin Fire District and Mill Valley Fire Department have been performing defensible inspections, and based on more extreme fire incidents we are asking residents to do more than in the past. Together, we will work to protect your homes and keep our community safe.
Here are a few ways to protect your home:
1) Cut Dry Grass and Brush - cut your dry grass and brush back 19ft from roads, driveways, and your neighbors' property line, 30ft from your home, and up to 150ft if your home is affected by steep slopes.
2) Trim Back Branches - remove branches that are smaller than three inches in diameter that are within 10ft of the structure's roof or chimney.
3) Clear Out Dead Debris - clean out any build-up of dead leaves or pine needles from gutters, decks, roofs, and exterior stairways. Maintain the clearing throughout wildfire season.
4) Remove Dead Vegetation - remove all dead vegetation from the property, including leaves and tree droppings, grasses, bushes, shrubs, and trees. Please remove dead vegetation from within bushes, shrubs, and trees.
5) Limb Up Trees - limb up trees by cutting low hanging branches 10ft from the ground and cutting branches from other trees and shrubs to create adequate spacing.
6) Make Your Address Visible - ensure your address numbers are clearly visible from the road. Placards with contrasting bright color and reflective font. To order a placard, please visit www.smfd.org
Evacuation Preparedness Resources