In 1908 a subdivision of tiny lots on the steep flanks of a redwood canyon in Homestead Valley attracted campers from San Francisco. Camp Tamalpais had a swimming pool, city water, sanitation facilities, and a large fireplace for cooking. Hikers could access trails to Muir Beach and Mt. Tamalpais. San Franciscans escaped the summer fog for a weekend or longer. Homestead Valley historian Chuck Oldenburg will also discuss Three Groves and Stolte Grove, both now public parks in nearby redwoods.
Oldenburg has lived in Homestead Valley since 1963. He has been president of the Homestead Valley Community Association and the Homestead Valley Land Trust. Since 2000, his articles on Homestead Valley history have appeared monthly in the Homestead Headlines and his Vignettes are published in the Mill Valley Herald.
Registration recommended. Click here to register.