Residential Parking Permit

There are several areas in Mill Valley which have been designated by the City Council as “Residential Parking Zones.” In these zones, residents may park for up to 72 hours  without restrictions with the Residential Parking Permit affixed to their vehicle. All other vehicles are limited to four hours of parking.

(Note: All vehicles are subject to CVC 22651(k) which states: Vehicles must not be parked on a public roadway for more than 72 hours without being moved 1/10 of a mile).

Eligible Zones

Residential Parking Permits may only be obtained by residents who live in the following specified residential parking areas:

  • Forrest Street:  Street addresses 8-34
  • Hill Street: Street addresses 2-60
  • El Paseo Lane: All street addresses
  • Madrona Street: Street addresses 35-46
  • Parkwood Avenue: Street addresses 9-32
  • Laurelwood Avenue: Street addresses 18-41
  • Presidio Avenue: Street addresses 15-67
  • Grove Street: Street Addresses 5-18
  • Millwood Street: Street addresses 5-29
  • Sunnyside Avenue: Street addresses 15 (units A,B, C, D), 83-87
  • West Blithedale Avenue: Street addresses 1-45
  • Throckmorton Avenue: Street addresses 191-257
  • Lovell Avenue: Street addresses 4-86
  • Bayview Avenue: All street addresses
  • Bernard Street: Street addresses 9-28
  • Miller Avenue: Between street addresses 42-52, 148 (in the Vogue Turnout; only 3 spaces), and new section between 107-306 
  • East Blithedale Ave: Only pertaining to street address 180

Obtaining a Permit

Permits are $20.00 per vehicle and are valid from February 1 through January 31 of the following year.

After August 1, the permits will be prorated to $10.00. If a new vehicle is purchased, a replacement permit may be purchased for $5.00 (Permits are non-transferrable from vehicle to vehicle).  Acceptable methods of payment are cash or check payable to the “City of Mill Valley.”

To obtain a permit, please complete the Residential Parking Permit Application and submit it to the Police Department along with current California registration and proof of residency. Acceptable forms of proof of residency include valid driver’s license with accepted address, utility bill, lease or mortgage statement. All documents must show a current eligible address.

Applications and copies of California registration and proof of residency can be mailed to the Mill Valley Police Department, ATTN: RECORDS, 1 Hamilton Drive, Mill Valley, CA 94941. After they are processed, the permits will be mailed to your address or you can appear in person at the Mill Valley Police Department (415-389-4100) Monday – Thursday 8:00am to 5:00pm and Friday – 8:00am to 4:00pm.

Note: Permits will not be effective until affixed to the left rear bumper of your vehicle.